SARS withholding corpse of my brother since 2016 – Woman

A woman, Mrs Doris Idedia, on Wednesday said his brother, Felix Idehen, died in the custody of the defunct Special Anti-Robbery Squad in September 2016.


She added that the disbanded unit had since then held on to the corpse despite repeated demands by the family.

Idedia testified before the Independent Investigative Panel set up by the National Human Rights Commission to probe into human rights abuses perpetrated by SARS and other police tactical units.

She told the panel sitting in Abuja that Idehen was at her place in Kaduna on September 3, 2016, when around 5pm he received a call from his wife’s younger brother, identified as Onyekachi Sunday, to pick him up at a place.

She said when Idehen got to the area, he saw a Volkswagen Golf driving towards his direction.

According to her, her brother took car occupants for kidnappers and drove away from the location.

She said as Idehen drove away, the car behind sped up, adding that at a point the victim tried to escape by foot.

“Throughout that day, a Saturday, we did not see him again. My mother said we should wait till Sunday to report to the police station,” said.

She said the family was waiting to hear from her brother when his wife received a call from an unknown caller who said her brother was at a hospital.

According to her, they saw him at the hospital with multiple injuries.

She said Idehen told the family that one Inspector Kingsley, who was in the Volkswagen Golf, called him a thief and mobilised people around to apprehend hm.

Idedia said, “He said Kingsley accused him of stealing the car he was using. My brother said he did not steal the car but bought it from Onyekachi (his brother-in-law).”

She said when Kingsley later arrived at the hospital, he insisted that he was taking Idehen to Abuja for further investigation.

Post a comment

0 Comments